Postcard For Reader

Book Trailers (14)

My last post on book trailers was my thoughts on what made good ones.

Do these make the cut?

Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas

Did it make the cut?: No.

Why?: This is a trailer. Not a slideshow. Not the back of a book. Give me video and voices, not pictures and words! (Mind you, my normal stance on life is the other way around, but for book trailers, the double V is important.)

The Last Princess by Galaxy Graze

Did it make the cut?: Yes.

Why?: Sure, there's a little reading, and the last image is a still, but it's short and to the point. It gives us just enough about the plot of the story and enough images to accompany it to make me, at least, want to read it in the way that the cover and the synopsis alone didn't.

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Did it make the cut?: No.

Why?: Still images! Text! And that narration in the beginning? The voice made me want to cut my ears off. Maybe that's a personal thing, but it sounded a bit... grating. And dull. And monotone. No, no, no - those are not the things you want to interest me into reading something.

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Did it make the cut?: Yes, yes, yes.

Why?: Is it a little long for my taste? Yes. But besides that, it's fabulous. It feels like a movie trailer (with mediocre acting, of course, but this is a book trailer) and it sucks you in and holds you there. It tells you all about the story in two minutes -- revealing a little more than I like, but hey, very few trailers get it perfect! This is actually a trailer I've watched multiple times -- I enjoy it.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Did it make the cut?: Er.

I don't know what to think. The artwork is pretty, and it keeps the text to a minimum, but watching the mouths move is just a little it awkward. I suppose it works, but it's not my personal preference.

What do you think of them?