Postcard For Reader

Final Fridays - Maggie Stiefvater

Everybody knows how highly I praised Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, currently contending for my favorite book of 2009.

And the lovely author was kind enough to stop by!

Maggie Stiefvater [website] has written not only the bestselling Shiver, a story on werewolves, but Lament and Ballad, stories on - you guessed it - homicidal faeries. (Okay, maybe you didn't guess it.) She's one of the Merry Sisters of Fate, runs her own kickass blog, and is just generally awesome.

And here she is.

N: It's 2012 - the zombie apocalypse. What are your weapons?

M: My sardonic wit and a Jack Russell Terrier on a double shot of espresso. In the case of a zombie threat, I have been practicing with both of these regularly. I believe I may die.

N: Or just terrify the zombies into confusion. Do your male characters wear boxers or briefs?

M: I have not asked them. For all I know, Sam wears a thong. It's one of those things that is left to the imagination, like whether they prefer raisins or chocolate chips in their cookies.

N: ... a thong? Oh dear. True, you're an awesome author - but who is your favorite author?

M: Why thanks. And I generally love books rather than authors, but I'm gonna go with three: Melina Marchetta, because she writes characters I love. Leif Enger, because he writes characters I love. And Diana Wynne Jones, because she . . . oh, you know the drill.

N: You love her because she drills? Just joking. ;] Holiday season. You walk into a store and are promptly flattened, cartoon style, by a mob of moms. What happens next?

M: I whip out my sardonic wit and Jack Russell.

N: And terrify the shoppers into confusion. They are rather like zombies. You were an artist before you were an author. What was your favorite piece of artwork?

M: Hmmmm. I was part of this movement called "Painting a Day" which means that you started and finished a painting every single day. So there is a LOT of maggieart out there. My website for it is here: www.portraitswithcharacter.com and my daily art blog was here: http://greywarenart.blogspot.com. But favorite? Hm. I loved doing horse art. (Below, one of Maggie's favorites "Gawain")

N: Those are freaking fantastic. Unique Features has the rights to Shiver - The Movie. Who would you cast?

M: I actually did a blog post about this. With photos! [link]

N: Yay photos! If you could write about anything, with full heart that you would be paid for it, people would buy it, and everybody would deem it amazing, what would write?

M: I . . . already do that. Werewolves and kissing. Also, homicidal faeries and kissing. And my next one, about blood, beaches, and kissing. I sort of just run wildly about my literary mind and do what I like and Scholastic says "That's cool! Let's publish it!" I love them.

N: Oh, Scholastic; what would we do without you? Now... why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

M: Leprechaun magic. Also, the glue is not exposed to air so long as you keep the lid closed, so it remains a sticky liquid until you let that sucker out of the bottle.

Thanks for stopping by, Maggie!
You can pick up her books online or at most bookstores. They make fantastic presents. :)

~ N