Postcard For Reader

Final Friday Interview: Alexis, Chelsea and Hannah

And now, after nearly a full week of celebrating their books, they're HERE. Yes, the authors themselves are here!

May I present Alexis Papalia, Chelsea Rae Swiggett, and Hannah Westberg.

Alexis Singer is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. At 19, she is about to begin her junior year at Chatham University where she studies political science and women’s studies. She attended the Pittsburgh High School for Creative and Performing Arts as a writer. She is a writer, a read, an activist, a feminist, and an avid home cook. Her heroes include AlicePaul, Conan O’Brian, and her mother.

You can check out my review of Alexis here.

Chelsea Rae Swiggett is 18 years old and lives in Ohio. She will soon be heading to college to major in English and immerse herself even further into the world of books and writing. She currently serves on the Ypulse Youth Advisory Board and plans on traveling the world—or at least the US—by the time 2012 hits. Just in case. Visit her on her YA book review blog, The Page Flipper.

You can check out my review of Rae here.

18-year-old Hannah Westberg lives in Vancouver, Washington. She earned her GED and plans to enroll in Portland Community College’s drug and alcohol counselor certification program. When she’s not babysitting, she is probably volunteering for political and charity organizations, as well as participating in flash mobs.

My review of Hannah will be up tomorrow.

You know the drill. To see this super fantastic interview, just click read more. And, as always...

N: Welcome, girls! I'm so glad to have you here on WORD. Let's start by talking about the writing process. Was it difficult putting your experiences to your paper? Easy?
Alexis: It was actually more difficult before and after than during the writing. Before I had to go back through all of my experiences and find a way to organize them and put them down. After I had to deal with the reality of people that I didn't know--and especially I did know--reading about something so incredibly personal that I had put out there in my own words. But the actual writing was therapeutic, if anything. I enjoyed writing the book. I've also had a very unique experience in that I've gotten to write something that allowed me to get closure on a difficult time in my life while simultaneously being out there to help people who had been through what I went through and who might be in that situation in the future. Most people think that the writing must have been terribly difficult, but in reality it was a pleasure to get to write it.

Chelsea: Both. It was difficult because it brought fresh reminders of old memories, and a lot of them weren't pleasant. It's hard writing about that stuff. And it's difficult having people, both strangers and people I know, read my thoughts. But it's easy in a way that's vivid. I can pull from actual experiences and write them down as I remember them, which makes the writing more authentic. It was also really therapeutic, so that made it easier, too. Nothing's better for the noggin' than talking to yourself! (That sounds like a solid sane-person phrase, right??)

Hannah: Easy? Writing itself is difficult, but writing about yourself is even harder. I had to be completely objective and honest. I had to expand on and explore topics in my life that I never wanted to put much thought into. But at the end, it was an enlightening experience.

N: Would you change anything about what you've written now that it's out there?
Alexis: Ever since I finished writing the book I've said that I'm more concerned about people judging me for the quality of my writing than judging me for the actual situation that the book is about. If I could I probably would have continued to edit and revise forever. There's no one small thing--I read over it and see sentence structure I would change or places where I would use different words. I think that's something every writer goes through that, though.

Chelsea: YES! There's a lot in there I wish I could change, but it is what it is. And I've had people tell me they could relate to what I've written, and that's so beyond worth having the writing out there that I probably wouldn't change it. And also, I'm so sick of that book by now (after editing and editing it) that I'd probably be too fed-up to change it.

Hannah: Some things have changed, but I wouldn't take back anything I said. It is the truth as I see it. Of course, I criticize myself and wish I could change everything. I constantly second guess my choices but I don't regret writing every ugly truth. Now that it's out in the world, it creates some awkwardness but I would take any of it back.

N: Where is your favorite spot to write?
Alexis: I like a nice quiet spot, so usually in my room with music turned up. I always try going out and writing in inspiring places, like near the river or at a cafe that I like, but I always get distracted. The best place for motivated writing for me is the most boring, secluded place I can find at the time. So you can imagine that my dorm room was the perfect place to get this written!

Chelsea: It doesn't matter, as long as I'm A) by myself and B) caffeinated. But I like to write in inspiring places - maybe I need a writing garden.

Hannah: I type everything on my big Mac with Gilmore Girls or Maria Mena playing in another window. When I need to clear my head to brainstorm, I'll take a notebook to a coffee shop, preferably in a book store, and people watch. Sometimes I would write with my best friend in the room for some light distraction. Mostly, I would just have to force myself to sit at my computer and put the gosh darn words on the gosh darn paper.

N: What was your first thought upon seeing your cover?
Alexis: I was shocked at how much the photo looked like me when I was sixteen, which is very fitting. Also, I've had people tell me that the fact that the irises of the girl on the cover's eyes are orange-red but I think it's great. She has a very confident, secretive smile on her face and I like the fiery tone of the orange. It fits me very well, I think.

Chelsea: AAAH, THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING. And then "oooh, green" followed by me getting up-close-and-personal with my computer screen while I stared at it. There was also some giddyness and jumping and general happymaking.

Hannah: "I got yellow! Haha I like that chick's Siouxsie Sioux makeup. Wow that's an embarrassing subtitle." People often say, "They should have put you on the cover! You're much prettier than that model!" I often reply, "Yeah, sure I am, but this is a serious book and if I were on the cover, I'd be doing a Buddy Christ pose."

N: What is (are) your favorite book(s)?
Alexis: I have a tendency to say that whatever good book I've read recently is my favorite book, which right now would be The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. But my favorite book of all time is 1984 by George Orwell. I guess I have a thing for dystopian novels.

Chelsea: I like the plural option. Hunger Games, of course. I also really loved The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. And Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. Nothing makes you appreciate life more than a good apocalypse novel.

Hannah: My inspirations for this book were The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros and every autobiographical book Augusten Burroughs has written. In the 9th grade, my English teacher, Ms. Bray, had us read Mango Street and write out own vignettes about ourselves. That was the most fun I ever had writing and the most I'd ever written to this point. I love Augusten Burroughs' hilariously brutal honesty. I met him at his book reading and he encouraged me to tell the absolute truth in this book. I also love David Sedaris, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Kurt Vonnegut, and many, many more.
N: Best flavor of ice cream?
Alexis: Pretty much anything Ben and Jerry's, but other than that my favorite has always been mint chocolate chip.

Chelsea: Mocha chocolate chip from Graeters. It's heaven, basically.

Hannah: Chocolate chip cookie dough, or, depending on the day, mango sorbet. Actually, I wouldn't say they're the BEST, just that they're my personal favorites.

N: Favorite song?
Alexis: Oooh, that's tough. I talk in the book about my favorite band, The Hold Steady. I'd probably choose their song How A Resurrection Really Feels.

Chelsea: Asgbakjga. Um. Favorite song that represents me? Human by Civil Twilight. Favorite song period? It ALWAYS changes. But right now I really like Neon Trees. And Better Alone by Carolina Liar.

Hannah: Maria Mena and Fiona Apple's lyrics speak to my soul. Pink Martini, The Blow, and Rasputina are weird and awesome. I'm way into Riot Grrrl right now and love to scream like Kathleen Hanna. However, Regina Spektor is technically my favorite artist. I recommend her early, rare, unreleased songs. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say Consequence of Sounds.

N: Now, let's round this all off with something fun. What would you do if you were transported to Oz?
Alexis: Hmmm...I would probably be terrified. My reaction would probably be similar to Dorothy's, honestly. I never liked The Wizard Of Oz much--I always thought the coolest part was the tornado!

Chelsea: Honestly, I'd probably think some serious conspiracy theory thoughts. And be fricken' creeped out by the munchkins. And I'd probably side with the evil witch and learn some spells and rule Oz. I'm not as kind-hearted as Dorothy.

Hannah: Do my time and try not to get shiv'd. Oh, did you mean The Wizard Of? I would stay there. In a coma dream. It's way more interesting than Kansas.

Thanks for stopping by, gals! And be sure to check out all three of their fantastic books - you can pick them up at your local bookstore or order them online.