Postcard For Reader

Hourglass

Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
Series: Hourglass (#1)
Publisher: Egmont USA
How Received: ARC

Comes out today!

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
I hate the summary of this book. It makes it sound like some cheesy paranormal romance, and - besides that being the wrong genre - Hourglass is so much more than that.

One, I classify it as science fiction. I'm not quite sure what the rules would be (I'm not a science girl m'self) but there's a definite rule set and science theory that applies to the book. I mean, come on - she might have to deal with 'ghosts', but there's theory to it. This is science fiction, and I wish there was more in YA.

Two, though there is romance, it's not the focus. Yes, her relationship with Michael is played on throughout the book - hello, what is a book without romance? - but I can't help but think that there's more to this book than that. There's stuff about good and bad and write and wrong and the fine line between that. There's humor and lines that make me laugh out loud. There's friendships and family and tension.

But once we move past the summary (and that cover! More on that later), I can tell you - if you're a fan of sci-fi or anything bordering paranormal, I recommend reading Hourglass. I've been fortunate enough to come across a lot of well developed characters lately - characters with interesting back story, who (well, Michael and Ava aside) aren't hideous, but aren't drop dead gorgeous. They've got their own brand of wit and humor about them that make them fun to read. None of them are the same.

And that, I think, is one of the reasons I like Hourglass as much as I did. Besides having an interesting plot - can she really travel in time? Can she do it without ripping the space time continuum apart!? - there were interesting characters to go with it. Anybody who reads WORD regularly knows I'm a sucker for good characters, and Hourglass delivers.

And, of course, a strong and interesting plot, witty writing, and a swoon worthy boy make this book a fantastic addition to most shelves.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 10/10. I can't think of anything wrong with the actual story itself - and besides, I read it in one sitting. That rarely ever happens with my schedule anymore. I made room.
Cover Comments: At first glance, I liked it. At second glance, I was indifferent. At third glance, I wanted to know what the heck it had to do with the book itself. And why she was standing on a wall.

Hourglass came out today, so if you're in the mood for sci-fi, a good plot, and a swoon worthy boy, go pick it up!