Postcard For Reader

My Ridiculous Romantic Book Obsessions

Sometime last week I reviewed Becca Wilhite's My Ridiculous Romantic Obsessions, a story about a girl who just can't help but look for her ideal Mr. Darcy - because, let's face it, what girl doesn't have a ridiculous romantic obsession?

It got me thinking about who my ridiculous romantic book obsessions were - who, for me, were the ideal boys in the books I've read. I managed to narrow it down to one... or two... or several.

Matthew MacFayden as Darcy
in the 2005 movie adaption

Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice

"I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow."

He's just... there's a REASON that he's the ideal for so many women and the reason Pride and Prejudice is considered the most romantic book of all time.

Richard Armitage as Thornton
in BBC's 2004 adaption

Mr. Thornton from North and South

He could not forget the touch of her arms around his neck, impatiently felt as it had been at the time; but now the recollection of her clinging defence of him, seemed to thrill him through and through,—to melt away every resolution, all power of self-control, as if it were wax before a fire.

I'm only actually partway into the novel version of North and South, but I think that, thanks to the mini-series, I shall always love John Thornton.

Michael Fassbender as Rochester
in the 2011 adaption

Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre

"Because, I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you- especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. And if that boisterous channel, and two hundred miles or so of land some broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly. As for you, - you'd forget me."

Rochester! How can I count the ways I love thee! He was my first introduction to classic literature (and the men in them) and though he broods and keeps his wife locked in an attic there's something fantastic about him.

James Fletcher from Bloody Jack

"Perhaps I am a bit of a stuffed shirt."

"I love you, anyway. Now come here, Captain, and give your ladyship a kiss before she does something really crude."

He really is the most magnificent boy.

I think the only reason I so adore James Fletcher is the fact that Jacky so adores James - and come on. He was the captain of a ship, does look fetching in a uniform, and is undoubtedly loyal to one Miss Jacky Faber.

Richard Armitage as Thornton in BBC's
2004 adaption of North and South -
and my ideal Maccon!

Lord Connall Maccon from Soulless

"I may be a werewolf and Scottish, but despite what you may have read about both, we are not cads!"

I can't explain this one without going to reread the books and fangirl squealing again. Just read them yourselves.

What are your ridiculous romantic book obsessions?