Postcard For Reader

The Essentials of YA?

I saw this post on Scholastic's blog about the essential reads of science fiction and that got me to wondering... are there essential YA reads?

Here's the ones I can think of. Comment and add to the list!

The Harry Potter series
For obvious reasons; this is an ESSENTIAL YA book. Like, it's THE YA book. If I had to pick a book to represent everything that YA is and ever could be, it's this series.

The Hunger Games trilogy
It's bloody fantastic. The plot is brilliant. The characters are realistic and heartfelt. The world is entertaining. And, best of all, Collins makes you think about what you're reading.

Beauty Queens
Maybe it's just because I'm so in love with this book lately - or maybe because it's a flawless satire on our culture that's absolutely hilarious and witty. I don't know.

Crank and Wintergirls
I have a thing for books that make you think, and both of these not only make you think but drive home a powerful point with breathtaking prose. (Or, in Crank's case, poetry! I think. Poetic prose? Prose-like poetry? Eek.)

What would you guys put on the list?