Postcard For Reader

Final Fridays - Cassandra Clare

She's funny.
She's written a fantastic series.
She's third in the YA fantasy world only to J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer.

Yes, she is Cassandra Clare!

I was lucky enough to, despite my pitiful lack of reading this month - SAT + projects = hate - to interview the fanTAStic Cassandra Clare.

And, without further ado...

Were you ever pressured to change the characters and the plot and, if so, when and how?

No, my publisher has never pressured me to change anything about either the characters or the plot. Sorry, that's a boring answer, but it's also true.

According to my friend Kellyn, "It didn't read like she used an outline -- like the last Harry Potter did -- but it was sooooo good that I think she did." Did you write using an outline?

Wow, I don't even know what it means for something to sound like an outline was used? Like it was trying to hit various points in order? Almost all writers use outlines, and I'm no exception. I have outlines that detail everything that happens in the series, and then outlines that detail what happens in each book, and then outlines for each character detailing their arcs, and how they change. I do think of course that one should not be too afraid to deviate from the outline if you have a great new idea or discover a flaw in the outline. Making the story better is always more important than sticking to the outline.

That's exactly what it means - and yes, making the story better > outline. Especially if the story turns out kick butt. If you could transport yourself into your world, would you do it and what would you do?

I would not! I do not want to be attacked by hideous demons, thank you. I am fairly cowardly which is probably why I enjoy writing about people who are brave. If I was forced to enter my world, I'd probably just go to Taki's and check out the menu.

Hahaha, I don't think I'd want to be attacked by demons, either. Did anything influence you? Shows, books, people, music, past events (personal or historical)?

Hundreds of things. Shows, books, people, music and past events — I'm influenced by Buffy, by the Borderlands books, by Swordspoint, by The Dark is Rising, by Angels in America, by World War Two, by current events, by stories I find in newspapers, by classic urban fantasy, by noir detective mysteries, by PG Wodehouse, by anime and by manga. I could go on and on.

BUFFY! Favorite color?

Er... purple.

What was your favorite part to write in the whole Mortal Instruments series so far and why?

I enjoyed writing the part where Simon is practising coming out to his mom as a vampire. "Mom, I have something to tell you. I'm undead." That part actually cracked me up while writing it. Sad, I know.

That's one of my favorite lines. Favorite piece of clothing?

My Fleuvog shoes, as anyone who reads my blog knows!

Do you have any weird habits when writing, or places where you write? Like chewing a pack of Bubble Yum or sitting on your roof?

I write with my friends in an unnamed coffee shop in New York City. I don't know if that's particularly weird — but since it's a big group of us in public we can't do chicken dances or anything. Sometimes I'll ask one of them to help me run through a scene or block out a piece of action. That may look strange to onlookers.

Oh, how that reminds me of conversations I have had with my friends...

Thanks, Cassandra! Check out her AMAZING Mortal Instruments series, all three of them in stores now.

(And now I feel like Ryan Seacrest...)

~N