Postcard For Reader

Final Fridays - Heidi R. Kling

Today we welcome Heidi R. Kling to WORD! Heidi R. Kling's debut novel hits shelves this June. Until then, she's keeping her website updated, bloggin' up a storm, tweeting away, and wondering what we'll think of Sea.

N: Welcome to WORD, Heidi! Now, your debut YA novel, Sea, comes out June 10. Can we get a summary on what it's about?
H: It's a adventure-love story about hope after disaster set in post-tsunami Indonesia.

N: I can't wait to read it. (For those of you participating, you can use Sea in the 2010 Debut Author's Challenge.) You used to act. What would be your ideal role to play?

H: Great question! I played Clarisse, the spirited lead role in the play version of Fahrenheit 451 my senior year in high school which was awesome. After seeing Hamlet on Broadway a couple weeks ago, I think I'd like to try Ophelia.

N: I got to see a local production of Hamlet. It's a wonderful play. On the mention of Ophelia and people dying - two more years until 2012! How do you think the world will end? (Zombie apocalypse?)

H: Hmm...I need to read my fellow Tenner novel The Prophesy of Days to come up with a good answer.
But what I don't want to happen? Hunger Games or Forest of Hands and Teeth scenario. SCARY.

N: Hunger Games book = good. Hunger Games real life = not so good. If you had to co-write a book with anybody, who would it be?

H: I would love to co-write a book with my talented author friend Jon Skovron (Struts & Frets) In fact, we've discussed it!

N: Oh dear. It seems you've been arrested for accidentally murdering a leprechaun. (You didn't mean to step on him, really!) What will your last meal be?

H: LOL! Poor little leprechaun! I would have filet of lep...kidding. Filet Mignon, garlic mashed potatoes, and a giant hot fudge sundae. I'd also like a side of nunchucks so I could fight my way out of my death sentence. :)

N: Speaking of which *notreally* - what is a rainbow made out of?

H: Magic and love and dead leprechauns

N: Rainbows are slightly more creepy now. What books are you looking forward to this year - besides your own, of course?

H: You're so funny. Um. I'm really looking forward to reading All The Tenner Books and Carrie Ryan's The Dead-Tossed Sea and the second book in The
Demon's Lexicon series: The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan.

N: Nice selections! Let's wrap this up: what are three odd things we could find in your house?

H: Two Wild Things and a fat dog.
Thanks for having me. I love these questions!

Thanks for stopping by, Heidi! Remember, you can use Sea in the 2010 Debut Author Challenge. Don't forget to preorder Sea through Amazon, Borders, or your local indie store.

Next month's Final Fridays author? Julie Kagawa, author of what may be one of the best books to hit shelves this year - The Iron King, which comes out on February 1. Don't forget to preorder that as well! [Amazon] [B&N] [Borders]