Postcard For Reader

Guest Post: Chronicle Books & Halloween Fun

Guess what? Today, we have a GUEST POST.

And it's not an author. Or a blogger. No, it's a PUBLICIST.

Lara Starr is marketing manager of Chronicle Books, and she's one of my FAVORITE people to work with. Every year at Chronicle, they celebrate Halloween - and it's a LOT of fun.

Don't believe me? Check out this guest post.

Chronicle Books Takes Halloween Fun Very, Very Seriously
Almost from the day I started working at Chronicle Books I’d been told that Halloween is a big deal here. Awesome! I love Halloween, I love everything about it. I do a lot of Halloweening at home, well, as much as I can. My 11 year old son has refused to dress up or go Trick-or-Treating since he was 6. Freak.

I’ve participated in some pretty fun and elaborate company Halloween celebrations. But nothing, nothing prepared me for the goings-on at Chronicle.

Each department takes inspiration from one of our books and creates costumes, decorations, food, drink and often a skit/performance. The stakes are high – the winning team gets a day off from work! Planning begins weeks ahead and folks are very secretive about what their team is up to.

My team in the Marketing dept did a mash-up of The Real Housewives Get Personal and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Our co-workers arrived to a gala benefit for the Zombie Children of Zambia. We broke out into a “thriller” dance, revealed bloodshot eyes under our sunglasses and bit down on fake blook capsules. Awesome!

The folks in the Sales Department did a zombie mash-up, this time with Princess Tea Parties. Tiaras and teacups mixed it up with blood and body parts

And the winners were the Design Department won the day with their tribute to Tony and the Pizza Champions. They transformed their meeting area into a pizzeria complete with grape vines on the ceiling, a wood-burning oven, and autographed photos of Italian-American icons. Delicioso!

To end the day, the Editorial Department created a tropical paradise inspired by Rum Drinks: mai tais, cubano sandwiches, even a steel drum player!

I can’t WAIT for this year’s party. We’ve got something pretty awesome planned, but shhh! It’s a secret until October 29th!