Postcard For Reader

Liz's Corner: The Replacement

The Replacement
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
Series: The Replacement (#1)
Publisher: Razorbill
How Received: ARC

Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.

There are books that I put on my shelf when I am done, and never touch them again. These books are ones that I know the basics about, but were not good enough for me to remember wholly.

The Replacement will be put on my shelf, opened many times, and re-read. It will not be forgotten in the depths of my mind, because it was just that fantastic.

This book dabbles in what a lot of YA books are about now - fantasy, paranormal and that whole lot. But inside that appealing outside wrapper is a message. Brenna Yovanoff writes an intriguing story, but the main message is that we all need some love.

This story is told through Mackie Doyle, who literally finds out who he is. It's not a coming of age story where there's a figurative "finding out". No, Mackie learns that he's actually not human, but one of Them. Even though his story includes immunities to blood, iron and consecrated ground, it relates to people. Sometimes, you have to dig deep to find your self. Sometimes, you don't like what you find. But there is always someone that loves you.

The plot of this story is fantastic. There is a brilliant climax, tons of action, and some pretty damn awesome characters. How Yovanoff came up with such a diverse array of characters, I'm afraid to know. A side from the real, truthful message in the book, it's super entertaining. There's humor in here, a bit of romance, and just normal things.

The only thing that I don't like about this book takes place on page 176 in chapter Normal Enough. This is YA fiction, and that really wasn't needed. That's why I gave it four stars instead of five...

Side note from Nicole: I haven't read it, but of course I opened my copy and skipped to page 176. I disagree; that's a very teenage thing to do. I mean, most teenagers are morons in that they'll do it, but still.

As for humor - brilliant. My favourite quotes were:

"...I hate that no one can just leave it alone. And I hate Nathaniel Hawthorne."

""Why does she (Roswell's mom) always seem to think you drive like we're holding a bank up?"..."Because that's what teenagers do, right? They also carve swastikas into their arms, steal prescription drugs from old people, and freebase cocaine. I need to institute a policy where she stops watching 60 Minutes and pretty much all public service announcements."

My favourite characters were Roswell and the twins, Danny and Drew. They were great additions to the story!

I think that there is much more to be expected from this new author. She's one to keep an eye on!