Postcard For Reader

Movie Adaptations: Jane Eyre

I saw Jane Eyre on April 2.

And, as with every adaption of this movie, I have mixed feelings about it.

For the most part, I thought the casting was amazing. Michael Fassbender plays an amazing Rochester - he seemed to pretty in the promo pictures, but he looks a lot more accurate in the movie itself. Dame Judy Dench is fantastic as Mrs. Fairfax; she stole every scene she was in. I loved Adele. Mia Wasi-Wasiko-Wasika-whatshername was alright as Jane, though. She has a very specific acting style that I didn't exactly adore.

The directing was fantastic, and I loved their use of natural lighting.

They DID leave out some of my favorite scenes - the gypsy scene, the portrait scene at the end, the bickering between the cousins - but overall I thought it was really well done. My biggest problem was that, if you didn't know the story going in, it would be hard to keep up. It seemed designed for Jane Eyre fans.

Not necessarily a bad thing!

I think I liked the 2006 version (with Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson) a bit more than this one, mainly because I love Toby's Rochester and Ruth's Jane is PERFECT. But if I could merge these two, and maybe add some bits of the musical, it'd be perfect.

Has anybody seen this yet? What are your thoughts?