Postcard For Reader

Chain Reaction

Chain Reaction
Author: Simone Elkeles
Series: Perfect Chemistry (#3)
Publisher: Walker Books
How Received: tour

Luis Fuentes has always been sheltered from the gang violence that nearly destroyed his brothers’ lives. But that didn’t stop him from taking risks—whether he’s scaling a mountain in the Rockies or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis can’t stop looking for the next thrill.

Nikki Cruz lives her life by three rules—boys lie to get their way, don’t trust a boy who says “I love you,” and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Her parents may be from Mexico, but as a doctor’s daughter, she has more in common with her north-side neighbors than the Latino Blood at her school. Then she meets Luis at Alex’s wedding, and suddenly, she’s tempted to break all her rules.

Getting Nikki to take a chance on a southsider is Luis’s biggest challenge, until he finds himself targeted by Chuy Soto, the new head of the Latino Blood. When Chuy reveals a disturbing secret about Luis’s family, the youngest Fuentes finds himself questioning everything he’s ever believed to be true. Will his feelings for Nikki be enough to stop Luis from entering a dark and violent world and permanently living on the edge?
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
The difference between me and a lot of people on the Chain Reaction tour is that I didn't read the first two books in the series prior to reading this one. I mean to - I own both - but I was in the midst of repainting my room and all my books - well...

But I asked Simone on Twitter if I could read the third without reading the first two, and since she gave the go ahead, I didn't mind reading this one.

I can see why so many people love this series; it's very easy to read, and the characters are lot of fun to read about.

I really liked Luis and Nikki; they're really interesting and fun to read about, and I liked that they weren't 'perfect' characters. I loved their attachment to family. Nikki annoyed me a bit at the beginning, though I understood where she was coming from; by the end of it, though, I adored her.

I did headdesk a little bit because I always headdesk when I think characters are getting into stupid situations, and with the Fuentes boys, you really can't help it. But I understood it, for the most part, even while I was headdesking.

And as one of my friends described it - when it comes to the romance, it's basically smut for teens, but it's FANTASTIC smut.

Overall Rating & Final Thoughts: 7/10. Good characters, good plot, and I'll happily go back and read the rest of the series. For everybody who already loves it, I'm sure you'll love this one, too!