Postcard For Reader

Death Sentence

Death Sentence
Author: Alexander Gordon Smith
Series: Escape from Furnace (#3)
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
How Received: review copy

Click here to read Nicole's thoughts on Lockdown.

Alex's second attempt to break out of Furnace Penetentiary has failed. This time his punishment will be much worse than before. Because in the hidden, bloodstained laboratories beneath the prison, he will be made into a monster. As the warden pumps something evil into his veins--a sinisterly dark nectar--Alex becomes what he most fears... a superhuman minion of Furnace. How can he escape when the darkness is inside him? How can he lead the way to freedom if he is lost to himself?
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
I am curious to see what happens in this series.

I just... I think it's being milked for all it's worth.

I love the concept of this series; it's entertaining, it makes your heart race. And the characters are fun to read about: you can't relate to their situation, or what they've done, but that's what makes it fun. You're getting into the head of somebody who you don't understand and caring about them and it's kind of awesome.

And the book was good. It wasn't too long; it had everything in it; it did exactly what it should in terms of writing and plotting and everything. I just felt like it could have been merged with the previous book. I'm assuming this will be a 4 or 5 book series, and I feel like they could have... I don't know... made each book thicker?

I don't know. Something is putting me off about the length. I can't put my finger on it.

The series is definitley worth reading, though; it's one of the most original concepts I've read in a while, and I do love the plot and the characters.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 6/10. Still good, not as strong as the first one in the series, and something about the length makes me cringe. But the plot is fantastic.
Cover Comments: SO MUCH LOVE FOR THESE COVERS. They fit the books PERFECTLY.