Postcard For Reader

Why Fantasy?

Delving into foreign terrenes within mystical worlds is so much fun for me. It's no doubt my Austrian, imagrant mother's folklore and fairytale telling was what triggered my first love for fantasy. She sure had a way of comunicating those Grimms-like tales to me that would take my imagination traveling right along with the characters she brought to life. Later, in my preteens, the tables turned, and I read fantasy novels to her, our favorites being, The Chronicles of Narnia. I can remember that special time when I was around twelve years old; my mother would cook dinner while I sat at the kitchen table and read to her.

Now that I'm an adult I love to write as well as read fantasy. Why, you may ask? There are no set rules in the genre, imagination is limitless. I can create my own world or enter someone else world where anything can happen. For me, writing fantasy is a way of escaping the everyday grind in life. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not complaining about my life. I actually love my life and know that I've been very blessed with a wonderful family to boot. But God also gave me the ability to create and that to me is very exciting. Escaping into my story gives me such a sense of freedom. I see myself tagging along, like a reporter, with my characters; they of course can't see me, I can only see them.

My love for reading fantasy has inspired me to write my novel, The Magic Warble, a story geared toward middle grade readers, though I have been told by many adults, that they, too, have enjoyed it, just as much as they would have if they were still a child.

Along with the adventure, intrigue and suspense, I have weaved a message of hope, perseverance, friendship and loyalty into my story. My personal hope is that you will want to join my main character, Kristina along her journey as she travels with a fellowship of characters such as gnomes, dwarfs, fairies, talking animals, and a prince, to fulfill a crucial task that will change the destiny of a magical land.

---

Victoria Simcox was born in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada, to an Austrian immigrant mother, and a Dutch immigrant father. She now lives in Western Washington with her husband, Russ and their three children, Toby, Kristina, and William. Her other family members are a Chihuahua, named Pipsy, and two cats, named Frodo and Fritz. Besides being an author, Victoria is a home-schooling mother of twelve years and an elementary school art teacher of eleven years. In her spare time, Victoria enjoys managing her two older children's Celtic band. She also loves reading, painting watercolors, hiking, good movies, and just simply hanging out with her family and friends.

The second book in Victoria's series, The Black Shard is out now!

In The Black Shard, Kristina goes back to Bernovem and partakes in another great adventure with her Bernovian friends, and best of all she is invited to travel with Werrien to his homeland, Tezerel.