Postcard For Reader

Characterize: A Reflection

A long time ago, I started a miniseries of posts called "Characterize," where we talked about strong characters and how they could subvert the norms - how 'strong female characters' is a silly phrase, how likability isn't a necessity, and a variety of other topics.

I figured I should write some sort of conclusion post for it, linking to all the posts - and yes, if that's all you want, just skim down and ignore the rest of this post.

But I think the best thing I got out of this, and the thing that's important to me, is that a well-developed character is the best thing you can have to read. Not in terms of if they're strong - because weak characters, and they they're weak, can be fascinating - and not in terms of if you like them - because if you don't like them, they're invoking a strong emotion. It's the ones that don't fall flat, who I don't forget when I turn the page.

Are there characters who stand out to you that don't fit the stereotype of "pretty, strong, likable?" Share in the comments, because that's a book I'll probably want to read!

The posts:
- Introduction
- Sean Ferrell on Neville Longbottom
- Nova Ren Suma on writing Ruby
- Sara from the Page Sage on likable protagonists.
- Julie Kagawa on writing strong characters.
- Donna from Bites on strong character arcs.
- Siobhan Vivian on strong female characters.
- Janice from Janicu Reads on emotionally strong characters.
- Jim Dean from YA Yeah Yeah on the Monstrumologist
- Nicole (me!) on the imaginary 'weak' female character